Breaking backwards compatiblity

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 16:25:11 PST 2012

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 01:12:34 Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 9 March 2012 at 22:32:59 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > This is why we need to have a VERY high bar for breaking
> > changes.
>
> Please remember this if someone proposes enforcing
> @property by default.
>
> The -property switch is a big mistake that breaks a
> lot of code.

As I understand it, it's like override, it's being phased in, and it _will_
become the normal behavior.

There are also a number of things in the language that are supposed to be
deprecated but have been sitting around for ages without actually being
deprecated (e.g. delete).

Walter's sentiments may be good, but there are a number of things which are
still in a transitional phase and _will_ end up breaking code. Of course, I'd
argue that stuff like deprecating/removing delete and fully enabling override
and @property _do_ pass the very high bar.

I think that his biggest complaint is minor changes (such as changing function
names) rather than the large changes that are still being made.

- Jonathan M Davis