Breaking backwards compatiblity

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 16:25:25 PST 2012

On Friday, March 09, 2012 16:15:13 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 01:02:35AM +0100, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> > Linus would probably hate D just as much as he hates C++. :p
>
> Yeah... I can just imagine his eye scanning the description of D and
> stopping right at the word "GC", and immediately writing a flaming
> vitriolic post to LKML about how a GC is the absolutely worst thing one
> could possibly conceive of putting inside a kernel, and that any kernel
> developer caught flirting with the idea of using D ought to have all
> kernel patches ignored from that point on.

He hates function overloading! I question that he'd ever be happy with
anything other than C. And he's so specialized in what he works on that I
think that a number of his opinions are completely inapplicable to the
majority of programmers. Some of what he says is very valuable, but he's a
very opinionated person whose opinions often don't line up with the rest of
the programming world. If you'll notice, Walter sometimes has similar issues
simply due to the kind of stuff he works on (e.g. thinking that the fact that
you could run your program in a debugger to see a segfault was enough (rather
than getting some sort of stacktrace with a segfault), which works great for
compilers, but works horribly for programs that run for weeks at a time). We
all have our biases based on what we've worked on. Linus just so happens to be
very famous and _very_ specialized in the type of stuff that he works on.

- Jonathan M Davis