Breaking backwards compatiblity

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 16:48:45 PST 2012

On Friday, March 09, 2012 16:40:37 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:26:48PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:12:34 -0500, Adam D. Ruppe
> >
> > <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Please remember this if someone proposes enforcing
> > >@property by default.
>
> I propose enabling @property by default.
>
> > Clears the bar with room to spare IMO.
> >
> > Not to mention it's not just a proposal, but in print in TDPL .
> >
> > (dons flame war proof suit)
>
> [...]
>
> I don't see what's there to flamewar about. AFAIK @property enforcement
> is going to happen sooner or later.

Yes. The problem is that some people don't like @property and don't want it
enforced, whereas others think it's a big improvement. From the sounds of it,
Adam thinks that it's bad, whereas Steven thinks that it's good. Personally,
I'm _definitely_ in favor of property enforcement.

Regardless, it's in TDPL, and the current plan is to enforce it. It just
hasn't reached that point yet, since we're still in the transition stage from
not having @property at all to having @property and having it enforced.

- Jonathan M Davis