Annotations or custom attributes

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 17:06:13 PST 2012

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:53:29 -0500, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/10/12, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Seriously, though, I think Andrej sometimes quotes *nothing* (no offense
>> for picking on you Andrej), and couple that with the newsgroup's
>> seemingly
>> random decision to start a new thread, or put a reply at the same
>> level, I
>> sometimes have no idea what he's talking about :)
>
> LOL. I was honestly wondering if this was an issue or not. I blame the
> gmail quick-reply box. It has two options: quote everything, or quote
> nothing. Otherwise there's a full reply button and then I can quickly
> select a piece of text to quote. But I *thought* that by using quick
> reply without fully quoting it would mean my reply would sit right
> next to the last poster's reply.

I think it does, actually.  It's just the post you are responding to isn't
always the last poster :D

> I'm just used to using forum software and when I do a quick-reply
> there my post is right below the last user's post, and it's easy to
> figure out who I'm replying to.

The forum software does not by default thread discussions, but my
newsreader does.

> Anyway, I'll stop posting replies to the void. :p (thanks for letting
> me know btw)

I hope you realize I didn't mean it in a bad/condescending way :)  I
realize we all use software that sometimes doesn't do the right thing, and
it's not always our fault for liking some shitty software.

But whose fault is it?  Yours for using a forum-like software, or mine for
trying to thread the newsgroup?  If a tree posts a reply in the wrong
thread, and the forest doesn't use threading readers, does anyone care?

-Steve