Breaking backwards compatiblity

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 9 20:34:15 PST 2012

On 3/9/2012 3:09 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Keep in mind, too, that Linux has decades of legacy and millions of users.
> That's a *very* different situation from Phobos. Apples and oranges.

Linux has had a habit of not breaking existing code from decades ago. I think
that is one reason why it has millions of users.

Remember, every time you break existing code you reset your user base back to zero.

I'm *still* regularly annoyed by the writefln => writeln change in D1 to D2, and
I agreed to that change. Grrrr.