Breaking backwards compatiblity

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 9 22:21:47 PST 2012

On Friday, March 09, 2012 21:54:28 Walter Bright wrote:
> > Deprecating exception specifications :o).
>
> I don't think that broke any existing code, because there wasn't any :-)

Sadly, there's code that will break because of that where _I_ work. For a
while, they were recommended/required, because some of the people dictating
coding standards didn't understand them properly. Fortunately, much of the
newer code doesn't use them, but there's still plenty that does. I think that
it stems primarily from Java programmers expecting them to work as checked
exceptions and not realizing how they really work. The only thing that will
likely stop code from breaking where I work due to the deprecation of
exception specifications is the fact that it'll be years before we use C++11,
and it'll probably only be newer projects that get compiled that way when it
_does_ finally happen.

- Jonathan M Davis