Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 9 23:05:39 PST 2012

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.375.1331338580.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> Which is one of the reasons that I really don't like the idea. Sometimes
> it's
> nice with strings, but it creates inconsistencies, and stuff like 5.max(7)
> just
> seems insane. UFCS will give people more freedom and may help templates in
> some cases, but I think that it's a major step back for readibility in
> general.

This is why C# requires that you declare a function to be UFCS in order to
actualy use it with UFCS syntax (although they don't call it UFCS). I used
to be pretty strongly in favor of that, but I've since gotten used to D's
lax-ness about it.