Breaking backwards compatiblity

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Mar 10 01:00:49 PST 2012

Am 10.03.2012 06:47, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 3/9/2012 8:40 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Windows though, even if you relied on bugs twenty
>> years ago, they bend over backward to keep your app
>> functioning. It is really an amazing feat they've
>> accomplished, both from technical and business
>> perspectives, in doing this while still moving
>> forward.
>
> I agree that Windows does a better job of it than Linux. MS really does
> pour enormous effort into backwards compatibility. You could
> legitimately call it heroic - and it has paid off for MS.

For those that don't know it, this is a great blog about how Microsoft
efforts in backwards compatibility.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/

I must say I used to be a bit anti-Microsoft while I was at university
and discovered UNIX. But later on, I got to work for a couple of Fortune
500 companies and got to understand why companies the size of Microsoft
are as they are.

--
Paulo