Feq questions about the D language

DFGH kthulukthulu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:43:19 PST 2012

I'm a C# programmer who wants to start using D as well for
various reasons. Is the official D compiler(DMD) matured enough
to be used for writing 'heavy' applications? I mean, there is a
bug tracker section for the compiler on this website and there
are many 'major' and 'critical' bugs listed there and i'm not
sure how much should i be concerned about them. I played with D
for a while and it feels a lot like C# which is obviously good
for me. What about performance? Yeah, i know that D is a native
language and theoretically should be faster than C#, but it's all
about compiler/runtime implementations. The Microsoft's .NET
implementation nowadays produces extremely fast code. So,
performance is definetely NOT one of the reasons for using D.
Achieving similar performance in D compared to C# would be good
enough for me. Also i need a portable graphic library for drawing
2D primitives. In C# there is a .NET wrapper around
GDI+(System.Drawing namespace) and it's super easy to draw
things. I have a large GUI application written in C# and i want
to rewrite it in D. Is there something like the System.Drawing
available? I don't need a heavy framework/api that's used for
drawing UI elements(buttons, panels, etc.) like QT, GTK+ or
something like that, but a library for drawing primitive objects
on the screen. I have drawn almost all the controls in my
application using System.Drawing because i'm not happy with some
of the built-in controls offered by .NET(which also have some
bugs). So, do you know such library?