Breaking backwards compatiblity

so so at so.so
Sat Mar 10 10:23:11 PST 2012

On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 17:51:28 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Um... before my recent upgrade (about a year ago), I had been
> using a
> 500MB (or was it 100MB?) RAM machine running a 10-year-old
> processor.
> And before *that*, it was a 64MB (or 32MB?) machine running a
> 15-year-old processor...
>
> Then again, I never believed in the desktop metaphor, and have
> never
> seriously used Gnome or KDE or any of that fluffy stuff. I was
> on VTWM
> until I decided ratpoison (a mouseless WM) better suited the
> way I
> worked.

I am also using light window managers. Most of the time only tmux
and gvim running. I tried many WMs but if you are using it
frequently and don't like falling back to windows and such, you
need a WM working seamlessly with GUIs. Gimp is one. (You might
not believe in desktop but how would you use a program like
Gimp?) Now most of the tiling WMs suck at handling that kind of
thing. Using xmonad now, at least it has a little better support.