Feq questions about the D language

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 10 11:16:45 PST 2012

"DFGH" <kthulukthulu at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ztpuxnnvmbustuhbzuvk at forum.dlang.org...
> I'm a C# programmer who wants to start using D as well for various
> reasons. Is the official D compiler(DMD) matured enough to be used for
> writing 'heavy' applications?

Personally, I think it is. Any warts that are there are in areas that are
already beyond the abilitie of most other languages anyway. There are people
here that use it for real-world work. I do.

> I played with D for a while and it feels a lot like C# which is obviously
> good for me. What about performance? Yeah, i know that D is a native
> language and theoretically should be faster than C#, but it's all about
> compiler/runtime implementations.

I used to use C#, and I find D to be much faster.

> Also i need a portable graphic library for drawing 2D primitives. In C#
> there is a .NET wrapper around GDI+(System.Drawing namespace) and it's
> super easy to draw things. I have a large GUI application written in C#
> and i want to rewrite it in D. Is there something like the System.Drawing
> available?

Off the top of my head, you could use SDL. That would give you far better
performance than GDI anyway. GDI is known to be super-slow. I don't recall
offhand though whether it does shape drawing.

As for actual UI controls, the main ones for D are WxD (Wx), DWT (SWT), QtD
(Qt), GTKD (GTK), and DFL (Win32).