Breaking backwards compatiblity

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 10 11:31:53 PST 2012

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:jjg7s4$24p$2 at digitalmars.com...
> On 3/9/2012 10:43 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright"<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
>>> I'm *still* regularly annoyed by the writefln =>  writeln change in D1
>>> D2, and I agreed to that change. Grrrr.
>>
>> Are you kidding me? I'm *thrilled* with how much of an improvement
>> writeln
>> is *every time I use it*.
>>
>> Seriously how the hell did writeln ever hurst *anyone*? We're bitching
>> about
>> trivialities here.
>
> I'm not complaining about the functionality improvement - I think that's
> great. I'm talking about the name change. It's far and away the most
> common thing I have to edit when moving code from D1 <=> D2.

I still like the name better. Do we really need an alphabet soup appended to
"write" just to spit out one string?

It's really not a name change at all though: It's a new function. writefln
is still there with the same old functionality (which is good, it *is* a
good function). It's just that writeln has been added and just happens to be
better in every way for the majority of use-cases.