Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 10 12:03:10 PST 2012

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 14:41:53 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> You know what I think it is (without actually looking at the code): I think
> they tried to do some highly misguided and even more poorly implemented hack
> (which they no-doubt thought was clever) for dealing with *cough* "old"
> *cough* browsers by inserting a meta redirect to a hardcoded URL, and then
> used JS to disable the meta redirect. If that's the case, I don't know how
> the fuck they managed to convince themselves that make one drop of sense.
>
> When I used one of my web developer plugins to disable meta redirects, the
> screwy behavior stopped. And like you, I have JS off by default (WTF do you
> need JS for on a goddamn *ARTICLE*?). So that's probably what the numbnuts
> over at Dr Dobbs did.

Well, much as _you_ hate JS, many people don't turn it off, because regardless
of how good or bad it is, enough relies on it that many would consider it too
unpleasant to try and use the web with it off. And if everyone's using it, then
there's no reason _not_ to use JS if you think that it best solves what you're
trying to do.

Now, normally I wouldn't think that you'd need JS for article, and their
particular solution may have been a bad one, but it's not like it's uncommon
for web developers to just assume that you're going to have JS enabled. I
would think that you'd be running into problems like that all the time with
the esoteric web browsing setup that you have.

- Jonathan M Davis