Breaking backwards compatiblity

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 10 13:08:28 PST 2012

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.428.1331409260.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:49:22 H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Yikes. That would *not* sit well with me. Before my last upgrade, my PC
>> was at least 10 years old. (And the upgrade before that was at least 5
>> years prior.) Last year I finally replaced my 10 y.o. PC with a brand
>> new AMD hexacore system. The plan being to not upgrade for at least the
>> next 10 years, preferably more. :-)
>
> LOL. I'm the complete opposite. I seem to end up upgrading my computer
> every 2
> or 3 years. I wouldn't be able to stand being on an older computer that
> long.
> I'm constantly annoyed by how slow my computer is no matter how new it is.
> Of
> course, I do tend to stress my machine quite a lot by having a ton of
> stuff
> open all the time and doing CPU-intensive stuff like transcoding video,
> and how
> you use your computer is a definite factor in how much value there is in
> upgrading.

With the exception of notably-expensive things like video processing, ever
since CPUs hit the GHz mark (and arguably for some time before that), there
has been *no* reason to blame slowness on anything other than shitty
software.

My Apple IIc literally had more responsive text entry than at least half of
the textarea boxes on the modern web. Slowness is *not* a hardware issue
anymore, and hasn't been for a long time.

You know what *really* happens when you upgrade to a computer that's, say,
twice as fast with twice as much memory? About 90% of the so-called
"programmers" out there decide "Hey, now I can get away with my software
being twice as slow and eat up twice as much memory! And it's all on *my
user's* dime!" You're literally paying for programmer laziness.

I just stick with software that isn't bloated. I get just as much speed, but
without all that cost.

(Again, there are obviously exceptions, like video processing, DNA
processing, etc.)