Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 13:20:41 PST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 11:52:47AM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:49:22 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Yikes. That would *not* sit well with me. Before my last upgrade, my
> > PC was at least 10 years old. (And the upgrade before that was at
> > least 5 years prior.) Last year I finally replaced my 10 y.o. PC
> > with a brand new AMD hexacore system. The plan being to not upgrade
> > for at least the next 10 years, preferably more. :-)
>
> LOL. I'm the complete opposite. I seem to end up upgrading my computer
> every 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't be able to stand being on an older
> computer that long.  I'm constantly annoyed by how slow my computer is
> no matter how new it is. Of course, I do tend to stress my machine
> quite a lot by having a ton of stuff open all the time and doing
> CPU-intensive stuff like transcoding video, and how you use your
> computer is a definite factor in how much value there is in upgrading.
[...]

True. But I found Linux far more superior in terms of being usable on
very old hardware. I can't imagine the pain of trying to run Windows 7
on, say, a 5 y.o. PC (if it will even let you install it on something
that old!).  I used to run CPU-intensive stuff too, by using 'at' to
schedule it to run overnight. :-)

Although, I have to admit the reason for my last upgrade was because I
was doing lots of povray rendering, and it was getting a bit too slow
for my tastes. It's no fun at all if you had to wait 2 hours just to
find out you screwed up some parameters in your test render. Imagine if
you had to wait 2 hours to know the result of every 1 line code change.

Lottery: tax on the stupid. -- Slashdotter