Roadmap (was Re: Breaking backwards compatiblity)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 10 13:40:48 PST 2012

"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.435.1331411268.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 02:59:28PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.431.1331409456.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

>> > Looks quite promising to me. Can we expect dmd 2.060 Real Soon Now(tm)?
>> > :-)
>> >

>> No. Unfortnately, 2.059 will have to come first. ;)
> [...]
>
> Argh! I didn't realize dmd bumped its version in git immediately after a
> release, rather than before. At my day job, we do it the other way round
> (make a bunch of changes, test it, then bump the version once we decide
> it's ready to ship).

I honestly don't like it either way. For my stuff, I bump it just before
*and* just after a release. If you see something of mine with a version like
"vX.Y", then it's a release version. If it's "vX.Y.1" than it's a
development snapshot that could be anywhere between the next and previous
"vX.Y". For instance, v0.5.1 would be a dev snapshot that could be anywhere
between the v0.5 and v0.6 releases.

Once I reach v1.0, then whenever I need to do a "vX.Y.Z" release, the 'Z'
part will always been an even number for releases and odd for dev snapshots
(unless I decide to just add an extra fourth number instead). (Prior to a
v1.0, I don't think there's much point in bothering with a full "vX.Y.Z":
just bump the Y since, by definition, you can always expect breaking changes
prior to v1.0)

I think it's terrible for dev and release versions to share the same version
number.