Breaking backwards compatiblity

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Mar 10 13:49:19 PST 2012

Walter:

> I'm talking about the name change. It's far and away the most common thing I
> have to edit when moving code from D1 <=> D2.

We need good/better ways to manage Change and make it faster and less painful, instead of refusing almost all change right now.
Things like more fine-graded deprecation abilities, smarter error messages in libraries that suggest how to fix the code, tools that update the code (py2to3 or the Go language tool to update the programs), things like the strange "future" built-in Python package, and so on.

Bye,
bearophile