Breaking backwards compatiblity

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Mar 10 14:50:03 PST 2012

Am 10.03.2012 20:52, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 02:27:20PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Adam D. Ruppe"<destructionator at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:tfdzpwcijnavdalmnzit at forum.dlang.org...
>>>
>>> It is significantly ahead of its competition at the time.
>>
>> And it was a big advancement over 3.1. Pre-emptive multitasking
>> anyone?
> [...]
>
> I thought the Unix world has had that years before Windows. But not in
> the consumer PC market, I suppose.
>
> But 3.1 was such a sad mess that just about *anything* would be an
> improvement on it.

Sure it had pre-emptive multitasking.

On the other hand, on those days, UNIX had very nice guis called Motif,
NEWS and NeXTSTEP. Personally I think the only nice one was from NeXTSTEP.

Each version costed a few dollars more that what most house holds would
be willing to pay. And lets not forget that long before gcc became
famous, you would have to pay extra for the developer tools. Which in
some cases did cost as much as the OS itself.

And most importantly, there were almost no games, compared with what the
home markets had access to.

Yes I am aware of the dirty tricks Microsoft played on IBM, but actually
taking into consideration the way IBM managed OS/2, those tricks weren't
actually needed.

So in the end, for the people using PC compatibles, the only game in
town was Windows 9x.

--
Paulo