Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Mar 10 15:13:22 PST 2012

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 17:45:33 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>  "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
> > Well, much as _you_ hate JS, many people don't turn it off, because
> > regardless
> > of how good or bad it is, enough relies on it that many would consider
> > it
> > too
> > unpleasant to try and use the web with it off. And if everyone's using
> > it, then
> > there's no reason _not_ to use JS if you think that it best solves what
> > you're
> > trying to do.
>
> "Everyone" *isn't* using it (even for a non-literal usage of "everyone").
> And I have it turned off because the web is not *not only* "unpleasant"
> with it *on*, but, for me, borderline unusable.
>
> > Now, normally I wouldn't think that you'd need JS for article, and their
> > particular solution may have been a bad one, but it's not like it's
> > uncommon
> > for web developers
>
> "Common" and "not stupid" are *very* different things. You're making a
> patently false assumption that the former implies the latter.
>
> > I would think that you'd be running into problems like that all the time
> > with
> > the esoteric web browsing setup that you have.
>
> It may seem that way, but it's *much* less trouble then what I had before
> I blocked flash (with NoScript), installed AdBlock Plus, and disabled JS
> (also with NoScript). Seriously. No exaggeration. I literally *cannot*
> read a page when there's shit animating around it. You can? Other people
> can? Most people can? I don't give a fuck. Good for you.
>
> Seriosuly, don't even think of using a "*most* people aren't like that"
> argument. Every goddamn thing about me is outside of the holy, sacred
> motherfucking "bell curve of relevence" (Ie: "If you're outside the bell
> cure, you're not relevent"), and has been for my whole goddamn life.

I'm not arguing that JS is great. I'm just arguing that it's so heavily used
that it's completely unreasonable to expect that web programmers won't be
using it. Many knowledgeable people leave it on because of this, and the
vast majority of people have absolutely no clue what JS is and don't tweak
with that sort of thing in their browser.

It would be great if JS were axed in favor of something better, but that's
not going to happen anytime soon. Heck, Microsoft made the scary choice of
making it one of WinRT's languages and seem to want to encourage developers
to write whole desktop applications in JS (yuck).

You can choose not to use JS, but given its prevalence at this point, as bad
as JS may be, I don't see how you can possibly expect that web pages aren't
going to use it.

- Jonathan M Davis