Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 16:44:51 PST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 05:45:33PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>  "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.433.1331409882.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
[...]
> > Well, much as _you_ hate JS, many people don't turn it off, because
> > regardless of how good or bad it is, enough relies on it that many
> > would consider it too unpleasant to try and use the web with it off.
> > And if everyone's using it, then there's no reason _not_ to use JS
> > if you think that it best solves what you're trying to do.

The problem is not what JS solves, per se, but the fact that many web
developers use it for no good reason at all besides the fact that it's
the "cool new thing".

[...]
> "Everyone" *isn't* using it (even for a non-literal usage of
> "everyone").  And I have it turned off because the web is not *not
> only* "unpleasant" with it *on*, but, for me, borderline unusable.

I used to do that. :-)

These days, I just can't be bothered what someone does or doesn't do
with JS on their site.  Opera lets me configure scripting on a per-site
basis. As soon as I run into a site that uses annoying scripting, it's
bye-bye scripting for that site forever.

In the past, I've even used UserJS to *edit* the site's JS on the fly to
rewrite stupid JS code (like replace sniffBrowser() with a function that
returns true, bwahahaha) while leaving the rest of the site functional.
I do not merely hate Javascript, I fight it, kill it, and twist it to my
own sinister ends.  >:-)

[...]
> > I would think that you'd be running into problems like that all the
> > time with the esoteric web browsing setup that you have.

Esoteric?! Really? Whatever happened to those days of graceful
degradation?  Or are we sliding back into the bad ole days of gratuitous
incompatibilities? And here I was, thinking that the W3C was attempting
to make things interoperate...

> It may seem that way, but it's *much* less trouble then what I had
> before I blocked flash (with NoScript), installed AdBlock Plus, and
> disabled JS (also with NoScript). Seriously. No exaggeration. I
> literally *cannot* read a page when there's shit animating around it.
[...]

Opera has content blocking. :-) It's configurable per-site, even. I
actively use it on sites where things flash around for no good reason.
OTOH, when >50% of a site is just random animated junk, I just leave and
never return, 'cos whoever runs the site obviously doesn't have anything
useful to offer me anyway. It's a pretty reliable indicator of site
quality, actually. And of whether I want to bother giving it another
second of my time.

"640K ought to be enough" -- Bill G., 1984. "The Internet is not a
primary goal for PC usage" -- Bill G., 1995. "Linux has no impact on
Microsoft's strategy" -- Bill G., 1999.