Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Mar 10 17:40:48 PST 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 08:01:11PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
> news:mailman.446.1331424217.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 05:16:15PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >> Which reminds me, I still need to figure out what domain it
> >> contacts to check whether or not to incessently nag me about
> >> *cough* "upgrading" *cough*, so I can ban the damn thing via my
> >> hosts file.
> >
> > Umm... you *could* just point Opera at opera:config, then search for
> > "Disable Opera Package AutoUpdate", y'know...
> >

> Ugh. If the authors of a GUI program can't be bothered to put an
> option in their own options menus, then that option may as well not
> exist. Why can't they learn that? I searched every inch of Opera's
> options screens and never found *any* mention or reference to any
> "Disable AutoUpdate" or "opera:config". What the fuck did they expect?
> Clairvoyance? Omniscience?

Yay! I'm clairvoyant! :-P

Seriously though, I suspect the reason for opera:config is to hide
"dangerous" options for the "end users", but keep it available to geeks
like you & me who like to tweak stuff most people don't even know
exists. I can just imagine somebody filing an Opera bug that auto update
stopped working, when they were the ones who turned it off themselves.

Can't say I agree with this approach, but that's the way things are, sad
to say.

[...]
> Heh :) I really do see modern Google as "the new microsoft" though,
> but just with less respect for personal privacy. (Heck, aren't half
> their employees former MS employees anyway?) I don't care how much
> they chant "Don't be evil", it's actions that count, not mantras.
>
> Hell, that's what happened to MS and Apple, too. *They* used to be the
> "Google" to IBM's "evil", and then they themselves became the new
> IBMs. That famous Apple II commercial is so depressingly ironic these
> days. Success changes corporations.
[...]

Here's a quote for you:

	"Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in
	power we would behave very differently from those who now hold
	it---when, in truth, in order to get power we would have to
	become very much like them." -- Unknown

Recently, our IT department hired a bug-fix engineer. He used to work
for Volkswagen.