Breaking backwards compatiblity

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 11 00:12:12 PST 2012

"so" <so at so.so> wrote in message
news:pzghdzojddybajuguxwa at forum.dlang.org...
> On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 19:54:13 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> LOL. I'm the complete opposite. I seem to end up upgrading my computer
>> every 2
>> or 3 years. I wouldn't be able to stand being on an older computer that
>> long.
>> I'm constantly annoyed by how slow my computer is no matter how new it
>> is.
>
> No matter how much hardware you throw at it, somehow it gets slower and
> slower.
> New hardware can't keep up with (ever increasing) writing bad software.
>
> http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=9

That is a *FANTASTIC* article. Completely agree, and it's very well-written.

That's actually one of reasons I like to *not* use higher-end hardware.
Every programmer in the world, no exceptions, has a natural tendancy to
target the hardware they're developing on. If you're developing on high-end
hardware, your software is likely to end up requiring high-end hardware even
without your noticing. If you're developing on lower-end hardware, your
software is going to run well on fucking *everything*.

Similar thing for server software. If your developing on a low-end local
machine, it's going to run that much better under heavier loads.

I think it's a shame that companies hand out high-end hardware to their
developers like it was candy. There's no doubt in my mind that's
significantly contributed to the amount of bloatware out there.