Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Mar 11 05:45:19 PDT 2012

On 2012-03-10 21:27, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 02:41:53PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> [...]
>> You know what I think it is (without actually looking at the code): I
>> think they tried to do some highly misguided and even more poorly
>> implemented hack (which they no-doubt thought was clever) for dealing
>> with *cough* "old" *cough* browsers by inserting a meta redirect to a
>> hardcoded URL, and then used JS to disable the meta redirect. If
>> that's the case, I don't know how the fuck they managed to convince
>> themselves that make one drop of sense.
>>
>> When I used one of my web developer plugins to disable meta redirects,
>> the screwy behavior stopped. And like you, I have JS off by default
>> (WTF do you need JS for on a goddamn *ARTICLE*?). So that's probably
>> what the numbnuts over at Dr Dobbs did.
> [...]
>
> I've always believed that Javascript is the hellspawn of evil incarnate.

I usually agree, but there are useful and cool things you can do with
JavaScript. Two of the tools I'm using when I'm doing web development
uses JavaScript:

* LiveReload - A browser plugin that  will automatically reload the a
web page when a file has changed in a specified folder.

http://livereload.com/

* TextMate Rails stack trace - A greasemonkey script that will make your
stack trace lines open in TextMate

https://github.com/ryankshaw/rails-stacktrace-textmate-linker-greasemonkey-script

--
/Jacob Carlborg