Multiple return values...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 07:45:09 PDT 2012

On 11 March 2012 15:35, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:

> On 03/11/2012 02:23 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> On 11 March 2012 14:56, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch
>>
>> <mailto:timon.gehr at gmx.ch>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 03/11/2012 12:50 PM, Manu wrote:
>>
>>        Nobody has acknowledged
>>        or disputed the majority of my points :/
>>

>>    I agree with the majority of your points.
>>

>> Cool, well that's encouraging :)
>> I can't really argue the implementation details, all I can do is assert
>> criteria/requirements as I see them.
>>
>> So what was the perceived issue with the pull request you mentioned in
>> an earlier post?
>>

> This is the pull request.
> https://github.com/D-**Programming-Language/dmd/pull/**341<https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/341>
>
> I think the issue with it is that there are no obvious issues with it.
>

>  I presume it only implemented the syntax, and not the
>> ABI bits?
>>

> Exactly. It implements the assignment from built-in/library tuples to
> multiple newly declared variables, but it does not implement multiple
> return values.

How does the syntax work precisely?
Is it possible to do each of those things I mentioned earlier; assign to
existing locals, ignore individual return values, etc?

How would the language distinguish from this implementation of implicitly
building/returning/unpacking a tuple, and from explicit intent to do so
structurally? Does the syntax give the code generation enough information
to distinguish multiple-return from struct byval?