Breaking backwards compatiblity

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 08:13:04 PDT 2012

Le 09/03/2012 23:32, Walter Bright a écrit :
> This statement is from Linus Torvalds about breaking binary compatibility:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/8/495
>
> While I don't think we need to worry so much at the moment about
> breaking binary compatibility with new D releases, we do have a big
> problem with breaking source code compatibility.
>
> This is why we need to have a VERY high bar for breaking changes.

I think Linus is mostly right. But I don't think this is a reason not
put the bar very high. Especially with the current state of D. This is
more about providing a nice, and long, transition process.

The way @property evolve is a good example of what we should do.

An example of management the change (even breaking change) is PHP. PHP
has so much improved if you consider what have changed between v4 and
v5, and then v5 and v5.3, that it is a factual proof that breaking
change can be done to great benefit.