Breaking backwards compatiblity

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Mar 11 08:21:10 PDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:20:43PM +0100, Matej Nanut wrote:
[...]
> This has also been one of the reasons I became interested in languages
> like C and D. Believe it or not, in our university, you don't ever get
> to see C officially if you don't learn it yourself. I consider this
> pathetic. The official and only taught language is Java.

Ugh.

> Which I grant them is at least cross-platform, but I believe that
> every university-educated programmer must know C.

+1.

Java is a not-bad language. In fact, as a language it has quite a few
good points. However, one thing I could never stand about Java culture
is what I call the bandwagon-jumping attitude. It's this obsessive
belief that Java is the best thing invented since coffee (har har) and
that it's the panacea to solve all programming problems, cure world
hunger, and solve world peace, and that whoever doesn't use Java must
therefore be some inferior antiquated dinosaur from the last ice age.
Every new trend that comes out must be blindly adopted without any
question, because obviously new == good, and therefore whatever diseased
fancy some self-appointed genius dreamed up one night must be adopted
without regard for whether it actually adds value. C is therefore a
fossilized relic from bygone times and nobody uses it anymore, and we've
never heard of what on earth an assembler is, neither do we care, since
the JVM is obviously superior anyway.

As the saying goes, if you don't know history, you'll end up repeating
it.

> I am convinced that my university produces bad programmers and as such
> don't find it surprising that new written programs are terribly slow,
> if they even work at all.
[...]

Obligatory quote:

	If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
	themselves upon execution. -- Robert Sewell

:-)

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.