Breaking backwards compatiblity

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 11 12:32:39 PDT 2012

"Matej Nanut" <matejnanut at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.471.1331466712.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

>I'm getting a new laptop this week because I
>direly need it at the faculty (some robotics/image processing/computer
>vision

Neat stuff!!

>However, I could notice an interesting trend between my colleagues'
>programs and mine. For example, solving the 15-game with heuristics
>took ~0.01 secs on the Eee, and comparing to others' programs theirs
>took several seconds and found worse solutions (not all of them of
>course, but most). When doing some local search optimisation, the
>difference was seconds-to-HOURS. I guess someone was really sloppy,
>but still.

Yup. Not surprised.

>This has also been one of the reasons I became interested in languages
>like C and D. Believe it or not, in our university, you don't ever get
>to see C officially if you don't learn it yourself. I consider this
>pathetic. The official and only taught language is Java. Which I grant
>them is at least cross-platform, but I believe that every
>university-educated programmer must know C.

Yea, Java has been pretty much the de facto standard College Computer
Science language since I left college (close to 10 years ago now...god, that
just seems so *wrong* that's it's been that long...)

>I am convinced that my university produces bad programmers and as such
>don't find it surprising that new written programs are terribly slow,
>if they even work at all.

I'm convinced that colleges in general produce very bad programmers. The
good programmers who have degrees, for the most part (I'm sure there are
rare exceptions), are the ones who learned on their own, not in a classroom.
It's sad that society brainwashes people into believing the opposite.