Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 11 12:44:17 PDT 2012

"Ary Manzana" <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote in message
news:jjis50$23se$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 03/11/2012 05:47 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "H. S. Teoh"<hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx>  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.454.1331448329.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Well, that was in the past. Nowadays they've smartened up (or is it
>>> dumbened down?) with the advent of JS obfuscators. Which, OT1H, is silly
>>> because anything that the client end can run will eventually be cracked,
>>> so it actually doesn't offer *real* protection in the first place, and
>>> OTOH annoying 'cos I really can't be bothered to waste the time and
>>> effort to crack some encrypted code coming from some shady site that
>>> already smells of lousy design and poor implementation anyway.
>>>
>>> So I just leave and never come back to the site.
>>>

>> I'd prefer to do that (leave and never come back), but unfortunately, the
>> modern regression of tying data/content to the interface often makes that
>> impossible:
>>
>> For example, I can't see what materials my library has available, or
>> manage
>> my own library account, without using *their* crappy choice of software.
>> It's all just fucking data! Crap, DBs are an age-old thing.
>>
>> Or, I'd love to be able leave GitHub and never come back. But DMD is on
>> GitHub, so I can't create/browse/review pull requests, check what public
>> forks are available, etc., without using GitHub's piece of shit site.
>>
>> I'd love to leave Google Code, Google Docs and YouTube and never come
>> back,
>> but people keep posting their content on those shitty sites which,
>> naturally, prevent me from accessing said content in any other way.
>>
>> Etc...
>>
>> And most of that is all just because some idiots decided to start
>> treating a
>> document-transmission medium as an applications platform.
>>
>> I swear to god, interoperability was better in the 80's.
>>
>> (And jesus christ, *Google Docs*?!? How the fuck did we ever get a
>> document
>> platform *ON TOP* of a fucking *DOCUMENT PLATFORM* and have people
>> actually
>> *TAKE IT SERIOUSLY*!?! Where the hell was I when they started handing out
>> the free crazy-pills?)
>
> Nick, how would you implement (protocols, architecture, whatever) an
> online document editor?

I wouldn't make it an online editor. Just let a normal editor access remote
files. Done. As for specifically html documents on the web, doesn't http
already have provisions for updating anyway? Hell, the *original* web
browser was *both* an editor and a viewer. But then Mosaic came along,
scrapped the editor part, and everything since has followed suit.