Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 11 12:55:47 PDT 2012

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:jji5fa$qma$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2012-03-10 20:41, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> You know what I think it is (without actually looking at the code): I
>> think
>> they tried to do some highly misguided and even more poorly implemented
>> hack
>> (which they no-doubt thought was clever) for dealing with *cough* "old"
>> *cough* browsers by inserting a meta redirect to a hardcoded URL, and
>> then
>> used JS to disable the meta redirect. If that's the case, I don't know
>> how
>> the fuck they managed to convince themselves that make one drop of sense.
>
> But they're redirecting to http://m.drdobbs.com/, which seems to be
> adapted for mobile devices.

Mobile sites have traditionally required less-fancy implementations, so it's
not unreasonable to think that some sites would use their mobile version
*as* their low-tech fallback version. That's becoming less and less true
these days, of course. But looking at http://m.drdobbs.com/ I have a strong
feeling that was originally created for things like AvantGo (ie, on PalmOS)
which really were very limited: no JS, no nested tables, very low
resolution, often not even any color, very low memory, etc. Not that
anything about what they're doing really makes a whole lot of sense anyway,
though.