Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 11 15:36:12 PDT 2012

"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jjj6lo$2ojb$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/03/2012 19:44, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> <snip>
>> I wouldn't make it an online editor.  Just let a normal editor
>> access remote files.  Done.  As for specifically html documents on
>> the web, doesn't http already have provisions for updating anyway?
>
> HTTP has a PUT method, but I'm not sure it's widely supported.  Nowadays,
> practically everyone uses FTP to upload web pages.  Either that or a
> web-based file manager such as free hosts tend to provide instead of FTP
> access.

Yea, but it doesn't have to be that way. Browsers have moved away from HTTP
for such things and don't even support it, so most people don't even know
that it's always been (supposed to be) possible.

>> Hell, the *original* web browser was *both* an editor and a viewer.
>
> What kind of editor - raw HTML, WYSIWYM, WYSINWYG or something else
> entirely?

I'm not sure. Probably raw HTML I would guess, but obviously it could have
been implemented to do it in any mannar. You can probably look it up on
Wikipedia. IIRC, it was actually *named* either "WWW" or "World Wide Web".

>> But then Mosaic came along, scrapped the editor part, and
>> everything since has followed suit.
>
> I guess the authors of Mosaic were bothered about enabling people to
> browse the web, rather than to create web pages.
>
> But there were a few other combined browsers and editors to come, like
> Netscape Navigator Gold (the editor part of which later broke away into
> Netscape Composer, or so I was told)....

Interesting, I'd never even heard of that. I think I've heard the name
"Netscape Composer" but just assumed it was an email client.