Feq questions about the D language

Damian Ziemba spam at dzfl.pl
Sun Mar 11 19:53:49 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 10 March 2012 at 12:43:20 UTC, DFGH wrote:
> I'm a C# programmer who wants to start using D as well for
> various reasons. Is the official D compiler(DMD) matured enough
> to be used for writing 'heavy' applications? I mean, there is a
> bug tracker section for the compiler on this website and there
> are many 'major' and 'critical' bugs listed there and i'm not
> sure how much should i be concerned about them. I played with D
> for a while and it feels a lot like C# which is obviously good
> for me. What about performance? Yeah, i know that D is a native
> language and theoretically should be faster than C#, but it's
> all about compiler/runtime implementations. The Microsoft's
> .NET implementation nowadays produces extremely fast code. So,
> performance is definetely NOT one of the reasons for using D.
> Achieving similar performance in D compared to C# would be good
> enough for me. Also i need a portable graphic library for
> drawing 2D primitives. In C# there is a .NET wrapper around
> GDI+(System.Drawing namespace) and it's super easy to draw
> things. I have a large GUI application written in C# and i want
> to rewrite it in D. Is there something like the System.Drawing
> available? I don't need a heavy framework/api that's used for
> drawing UI elements(buttons, panels, etc.) like QT, GTK+ or
> something like that, but a library for drawing primitive
> objects on the screen. I have drawn almost all the controls in
> my application using System.Drawing because i'm not happy with
> some of the built-in controls offered by .NET(which also have
> some bugs). So, do you know such library?

Hello and welcome on board.

I've written 3 paid projects in D and couple hobby ones and as
far I am very happy with D.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I hited only 4 bugs in my "carrier"
which one is already fixed. Maybe I haven't wrote enough code in
D, well, my biggest project in D is 35K LOC, its webserver
solution. I need to say that it scales very well and handles high
traffic without any problem. Its up for more than month now and I
had only one segfault because of hole in my framework.

The only problem actually I have is lack of up-to-date wxD or QtD
bindings. 4 GUI applications written with GtkD - they work quite
well, but meh, it doesn't work too well on Mac OSX :p

I would give it a try.

Best regards,
Damian Ziemba