How about colors and terminal graphics in std.format?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 20:45:12 PDT 2012

On Monday, 12 March 2012 at 03:28:40 UTC, Chad J wrote:
> I was kind of intending to /not/ do that, for exactly the
> reasons you mention.  ASCII escape sequences should work
> anyways.  I don't think anyone will panic if I waste a byte or
> two for every 3+ on fairly rare coloring/gfx operations.  And
> then there's always terminfo in the long picture.

If it is done on the output part, that's ok. Really,
I guess it is ok by me as long as the documentation
warns about not using it in another context.

BTW, also, if stdout is not a terminal on unix, I
don't think you should output the colors (at least
not by default). Most unix apps don't put color
sequences out to pipes, etc.

I'm not sure how to best do this in std.format; this
kind of decision seems like it belongs in std.stdio.