Multiple return values...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:37:48 PDT 2012

On 12 March 2012 04:44, Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>wrote:

> On 3/11/12 6:30 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> D should
>> define an MRV ABI which is precisely the ABI for passing multiple args
>>
>> TO a function, but in reverse, for any given architecture. This also has
>> the lovely side effect of guaranteeing correct argument placement for
>> chain-called functions.
>>

> I'm quoting this because it is the tersest and clearest expression of the
> actual request.
>
> It's a nice feature to have, but so are many others. I don't know what it
> would cost to implement (my guess is: high), and how large the benefits
> would be in various projects.

Is this basically like saying it'll never happen?
There is already a pending pull request implementing the syntax, that
addresses half of the feature straight up.. codegen can come later, I
agreed earlier that it is of lesser importance.
You don't see the immediate value in a convenient MRV syntax? It would
improve code clarity in many places, and allow the code to also be more
efficient down the road.

D seems rather feature-complete. What many other major features are on the
cards if I may ask?