Breaking backwards compatiblity

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Mar 12 04:12:32 PDT 2012

Am Sun, 11 Mar 2012 04:12:12 -0400
schrieb "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a>:

> I think it's a shame that companies hand out high-end hardware to their
> developers like it was candy. There's no doubt in my mind that's
> significantly contributed to the amount of bloatware out there.

But what if the developers themselves use bloated software, like Eclipse or slow compilation processes, like big C++ programs. It is a net productivity increase. But yeah, I sometimes think about keeping some old notebook around to test on it - not to use it for development. Actually, sometimes you may want to debug your code with a very large data set. So you end up on the other side of the extreme: Your computer has too little RAM to run some real world application of your software.

As for the article: The situation with automatic updates was worse than now - Adobe, Apple and the others have learned and added the option to disable most of the background processing. The developments in the web sector are interesting under that aspect. High quality videos and several scripting/VM languages make most older computers useless for tabbed browsing :D

--
Marco