Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 12:53:00 PDT 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:27:30 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:op.wa1432xjeav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
>> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:41:53 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>>
>>> You know what I think it is (without actually looking at the code): I
>>> think
>>> they tried to do some highly misguided and even more poorly implemented
>>> hack
>>> (which they no-doubt thought was clever) for dealing with *cough* "old"
>>> *cough* browsers by inserting a meta redirect to a hardcoded URL, and
>>> then
>>> used JS to disable the meta redirect. If that's the case, I don't know
>>> how
>>> the fuck they managed to convince themselves that make one drop of
>>> sense.
>>
>> It could be that they don't care to cater to people who hate JS.  There
>> aren't that many of you.
>>

> There are enough.

Apparently not.
http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/posts/2010/10/how-many-users-have-javascript-disabled/

I'm perfectly willing to give up on 1-2% of Internet users who have JS
disabled.

> And it's beside the point anyway. Things that don't need
> JS sholdn't be using JS anyway, regardless of whether you hate it or have
> enough brain damage to think it's the greatest thing since the
> transistor.

No, it *is* the point.  As a web developer, javascript is used by the vast
majority of users, so I assume it can be used.  If you don't like that, I
guess that's too bad for you, you may go find content elsewhere.  It's not
worth my time to cater to you.

It's like saying you think cell phones are evil, and refuse to get one.
But then complain that there are no pay phones for you to use, and demand
businesses install pay phones in case people like you want to use them.

That being said, I found it quite funny that wikipedia last year "blacked
out" itself using javascript.  I just so happened to want to quote
something from wikipedia, and noticed the site came up, then had a black
page put over it.  I just disabled javascript, and could happily use the
site, posting the link (of course, I had to mention it would only work
tomorrow when the blackout ended).

-Steve