Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Mar 12 19:12:16 PDT 2012

"Era Scarecrow" <rtcvb32 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kbvwixcrdcgakjigjezu at forum.dlang.org...

>> This situation (where payphones were obsolete) existed long before the
>> smartphone craze.
>
>  Perhaps... I may be giving up my cell phone and having no phone
> connection. I'd buy a phone card soon, guess what I'd be using if I do
> need to make a phone call? :P Cell phones and TV are being pushed too
> hard, for less benefit unless you need to use them a lot.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite Futurama scenes where Hermes sees what he
thinks is an ordinary run-of-the-mill suicide booth, realizes it's actually
a phone, and exclaims something like "Wow! They put phones in booths now?
That's great! Now I don't have to lug this thing around everywhere!" and
tosses his cell in the trash.

I do actually miss pay phones. But at the same time, maintaining phone
booths has *FAR* more overhead than not requiring JS, so I don't really
complain about it. Plus I only have reason to use them maybe 1-4 times per
*year*, wheras the web I need to use all the time.

I'd really like to get a WiFi phone actually, and use some free or cheap
VoIP service. Yea, WiFi connections are a lot less prevailent (at least in
the US) than cell reception, but it'd be good enough for me. You may not
think it from the way I drone on and on in this NG, but I really don't talk
on phones much.