Arbitrary abbreviations in phobos considered ridiculous

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Mar 12 19:34:29 PDT 2012

"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:pfaikhejyfjpbpwwqrit at forum.dlang.org...

> Then, he asked for a partial ajax load thing. Turns out that's
> trivially easy too. On the client:

That reminds me: "Trendy" web people seem to be a bit schizophrenic (I can't
believe I spelled that right!) when it comes to "thin vs thick clients".
They're into "cloud" this and "cloud" that, and always web-based naturally,
so obviously they're into thin clients. But then they cram it so full of JS
that they're literally turning their beloved thin "cloud" client into an
ad-hoc thick client.

Makes me want yell at them: Just cut the crap, admit you want a think
client, and make a *real* thick client. If you want trivial installation,
start backing and pushing for something like 0-install. If you want
cross-platform, use a cross-platform toolkit. You want network connectivity?
Use curl, or any other networking lib. Ultimately, you'll get the *same*
effect, but with better system integration, much less incompatibility
bullshit, never have to deal with IE, don't need to wait for HTML5/canvas
penetrarion, use whatever language you damn well please, and you get all
these without all that "middleman" bloat. (And you can do more to make
reverse engineering harder if you're into closed-source.)

> Now, there *are* cases where you can't do this so easily.
> If you're stuck on poor PHP I'm sure this is harder than
> in D too... but really, do you have one of those cases?

And even if you are stuck with PHP, you really should just be using
something like Haxe instead. (IMO)