Feq questions about the D language

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:13:18 PDT 2012

On Monday, 12 March 2012 at 02:33:23 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/11/12 5:37 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 03/11/2012 10:57 PM, Caligo wrote:
>>> And just for the record, there are software projects that are
>>> millions
>>> of lines of code in C/C++ and have ZERO workarounds. Also, I
>>> have
>>> never encountered a bug in GCC when programming in C++, even
>>> when
>>> trying out the latest C++11.
>>
>> I have encountered bugs in both GCC and Clang.
>> Without using any C++11 features, and even though I don't use
>> C++
>> regularly.
>
> We at Facebook found a bunch of gcc bugs for each release we've
> used, and have known workarounds. I'd find it surprising if a
> large C++ project didn't fit the same pattern.

They do, but I think the difference here is the kind of bugs you
find. In GCC, most of the bugs are rare edge cases (yes, I'm sure
there are some less rare bugs too), but in DMD, there are lots of
"this language feature simply doesn't work". Things like
selective imports, Object const-correctness, post-blitting const
structs etc.

> At any rate, the comparison is rigged because C++ is much more
> mature and invested in.

It may be an unfair comparison, but it is an appropriate one. If
a customer is evaluating products, he isn't going to give special
treatment to those that are less mature. Bugs are bugs no matter
how you justify them.