[video] A better way to program

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Mar 13 12:04:10 PDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Brad Anderson <eco at gnuk.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Vladimir Panteleev <
> vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 13 March 2012 at 15:34:17 UTC, proxy wrote:
>>
>>> Very interesting talk about the merits of direct feedback in any
>>> creative process(first half) and being a developer activist(second half).
>>>
>>> "It eventually gets going and it isn't only about game programming at
>>> about 18 mins in you will find the same ideas applied to more abstract
>>> coding and even to other engineering disciplines."
>>>
>>> http://www.i-programmer.info/**news/112-theory/3900-a-better-**
>>> way-to-program.html<http://www.i-programmer.info/news/112-theory/3900-a-better-way-to-program.html>
>>>

>> Could someone summarize the video?
>>

> It's basically a very slick argument for interactive coding.  His demos
> are all pretty neat but you have to watch it to get the full effect.
>
> Regards,
> Brad Anderson

A word of warning though.  He goes on, and on, and on about the philosophy
of design in a rather self important way that I don't think our profession
of software developers deserves (over other makers of tools).  Can you
imagine the manufacturer of a hammer spending hours talking about the
philosophy of tool design and the unique connection between the the hammer
and the hammerer that some change to the tool fosters? Instead they just
list concrete improvements; more durable, better striking head, lighter
weight, etc.

Apple has really done a number on the minds and egos of young designers
(for better or worse).

Regards,
Brad Anderson