Tuple unpacking syntax [Was: Re: Multiple return values...]

foobar foo at bar.com
Tue Mar 13 16:22:31 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 13 March 2012 at 22:26:14 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> Let me put it another way: I don't see one syntax over another
>> a deal maker or deal breaker. At all.
>
> I am usually able to follow threads, but this time I am a bit
> lost (this discussion has mixed very different topics like
> ABIs, implementation efficiency of tuples and typetuples, a
> hypothetical not-really-a-tuple third-kind of tuple, built-in
> syntax, library implementation code, etc). Is someone able and
> willing to summarize the current situation of this discussion?

[snip]
> So I think we should put this thread back on the rails. Library
> implementations are not enough here. I suggest to start
> discussing about what's wrong in the proposed D syntax patch,
> solve the problems Walter has with it.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Yeap, I'm confused as well. D's tuple support seems to be
completely messed up.
This reminds me - what was the semantic problem with the auto
unpacking in a function's parameter list?
Personally, I think D ought to learn from the experts on this.
Take a look at how FP languages implement this. E.g take a look
at ML or Haskell for pointers.