Tuple unpacking syntax [Was: Re: Multiple return values...]

foobar foo at bar.com
Wed Mar 14 16:05:47 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 14 March 2012 at 13:17:47 UTC, Robert Jacques wrote:
<snip>
> But there's a reason we use /// instead of ⫻; we shouldn't
> require custom keyboard mappings in order to program
> efficiently in D.

Aren't we supposed to be moving towards more natural interfaces
in computing? I'm sure that once the touch interface is perfected
for text input it would be trivial to have a "coding keyboard" or
a "D keyboard". The keyboard mappings would simply come bundled
with the compiler.

The current text based programming is quite limiting considering
that we actually deal with a tree of tokens. IDEs already
manipulate code at the AST level in order to enable refactoring.
The next logical step would be to eliminate the text form all
together and store code at the AST level, thus avoiding
lexing/parsing overhead and the limits of text based
representation.

e.g. subtextual.org has cool ideas how to design such a future
non textual language. For example, representing Boolean logic in
a table instead of arbitrary nested if statements.