Standalone AA implementation ready for review (Was: Re: Replacing

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 14 21:48:51 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:47:23PM -0400, bearophile wrote:
> H. S. Teoh:
>
> > - I haven't stress-tested AA performance yet. (Any volunteers? ;-))
>
> I have just seen that the performance of the Sokoban solver is
> unchanged.
>

> > In spite of its flaws, this implementation already addresses quite a
> > few AA-related issues in the bugtracker,
>
> How efficiently is this AA working with keys like:
> AssociativeArray!(immutable char[60], bool) aa;
> Built-in AAs become snail-slow with such keys.
[...]

Well, I didn't invent any clever new algorithms or anything like that, I
more-or-less followed the same implementation as aaA.d.  So I don't
think there will be any great performance gains. I'm more concerned
about drastic performances *losses* caused by code that I didn't realize
would cause a problem, perhaps an overlooked inefficiency that crept in
when I was translating the AA code into template-based code.

Being able to learn is a great learning; being able to unlearn is a greater learning.