Dynamic language

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Mar 15 12:24:24 PDT 2012

"so" <so at so.so> wrote in message
news:uamqdkmnshxmvayeumbz at forum.dlang.org...
> Hello,
>
> Not related to D but this is a community which i can find at least a few
> objective person. I want to invest some "quality" time on a dynamic
> language but i am not sure which one. Would you please suggest one?
>
> To give you an idea what i am after:
> Of all one-liners i have heard only one gets me.
> "The programmable programming language". Is it true? If so Lisp will be my
> first choice.

I'd say it depends:

- If can can tolerate the parenthesis-hell and goofy prefix notation
(instead of infix), then LISP has been said to be the generalization of all
other langauges. IIRC, I heard that it was created specifically as an
example of a "programmable programming language".

- If you're looking for performace and practical real-world usage as a way
to add scripting support to a program, Lua is considerd king for that.

- If you can stomach the indent-scoping, Python is very well-regarded and
has a lot of fancy advanced features.

- If you don't like indent-scoping, Ruby is probably about the closest there
is to a block-scoped Python.

- If you're looking for the most painful dynamic experince imaginable,
ActionScript2 should be at the top of your list. Make sure to use all-Adobe
tools, and the newest versions of each, so the whole experience will be
*truly* unbearable.

I admit though, I'm not very familiar with the extent of the metaprogramming
abilities of any of those languages.