Proposal: user defined attributes

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:23:07 PDT 2012

On 3/16/12, Adam D. Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current language solution isn't really *bad* with enough
> library help, but it isn't particularly *good* either and I
> don't think it can be. I've tried a few things, and I still
> see the lack of user annotations as D's biggest miss right now.

Yeah, but I would say if we had even better compile-time introspection
we could have the freedom to implement any number of annotation
implementations in library code. When you put something into the
language you have to depend on C++ hackers to implement and then
inevitably fix the upcoming bugs in the front-end (ICEs are an
annoying blocker), and there's always that issue where the devs are
against adding new features to an existing language feature. (say
annotations were implemented, soon enough someone is going to complain
it doesn't have enough functionality and that it needs to be
extended).

Personally I'd love it if we had more __traits and compile-time
introspection abilities.