Dynamic language

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 16 13:21:20 PDT 2012

"Simon" <s.d.hammett at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jk053b$sg0$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 16/03/2012 02:28, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "James Miller"<james at aatch.net>  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.733.1331853568.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>>
>>> I hate the fact that Flash games are created the way they are. For
>>> one, it's impenetrable to try and learn properly, I had so much
>>> trouble figuring out how to do things properly, you can attach scripts
>>> to almost any object, but sometimes it might be shared over all of the
>>> same objects, and other times only on that instance, depending on how
>>> you've placed them on the canvas.
>>>
>>> I probably wrote some terrible code when I started making Flash games,
>>> and now Actionscript is so foreign to me that i can barely understand
>>> where to start.
>>>

>> One thing I learned though, is that if you're going to make something in
>> Flash, your best bet is to use as *little* of what Adobe provides as
>> possible:
>
> You're being rather unfair to Adobe. It was Macromedia that where the
> original perpetrators of flash; Adobe brought Macromedia in 2005.
> I guessing that they only brought Macromedia for the market share rather
> than because they thought flash was actually any good.
>
> I suffered through a module of Flash/Director around 1999. Action script
> was fecking awful but Director actually wasn't that bad.
> It was pretty easy to do some neat things so it was easy to see why it was
> so popular with *web devs* and mouth breathing marketing types.

Well, yea Macromedia created most of it, but Adobe now *provides* it ;) And
they did choose to buy it. Anyway though, yea, you're right it is mostly
Macromedia. Actually the version I started using was still pre-Adobe: MX
2004. But still, it's been about 6 years and Adobe, well they promtly added
AS3 (which like I said, I admit I don't know much about since I haven't used
it) and then ever since then they seem to have mostly just added bloat.
Again though, you're right, Macromedia's responsible for most of what I hate
about Flash (Apperently even Flex is their fault, too. I didn't even know
that until I looked it up just now).