Changing the name of the language?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 16 14:29:16 PDT 2012

"Manu" <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.778.1331920080.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 16 March 2012 03:23, ixid <nuaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> D is a very poor name for a language. I appreciate it's late in the day
>> for this and that it has probably been discussed before (not that I could
>> find such a discussion with Google which relates to my point). Although
>> the
>> results for D are fine when googling for things like "D tutorial", more
>> obscure terms are hard to find because "d" is so commonly used as a
>> variable name. Searchability is important though I understand that this
>> might be seen as a trivial point, it is a major human factor. The
>> language
>> would be far better off with a 3 to 5 letter identifier. It will succeed
>> or
>> fail for other reasons but an easily searchable name would help. Dlang as
>> the search term isn't good enough because it's not actually the
>> language's
>> name, people don't use it that much when referring to D, nor do they
>> usually use D2.
>>

> Do you have trouble googling for C? I find that D related results are
> currently only around 4-5 down the google results list, and it'll only get
> higher as it get's more popular.
> C searches are fine... I am often surprised just how much influence
> programmers seem to have on search results placement.

Google search results are different for everybody. They tailor the search
results they give you based on your past search (and clickthrough) history.
If you're doing a lot of programmer searches, they're going to start giving
you more programmer results.

That's one of many reasons I used to use Scroogle, and now that Scroogle's
dead (RIP), IxQuick and StartPage.

See also "Filter bubble": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble