force inline/not-inline

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:53:43 PDT 2012

I just started writing an emulator in D for some fun; I needed an
application to case-study aggressive performance characteristics in
hot-loop situations.
I know this has come up time and time again, but I just want to put it out
there again... if I were shipping this product, I would NEED forceinline +
force-not-inline.

I know D likes to try and intelligently inline code, but in these very high
performance cases, I know what's best for my code, and I have also shipped
this product commercially before. I know exactly what was required of it
from months of meticulous performance profiling, and I can see immediately
that D is not making the right choices. Programmers need to be able to
explicitly control to inline-ing in many cases.

Cross module inline-ing is a really big problem. What is the plan here? Is
there a solution in the foreseeable future? What about libs?