virtual-by-default rant

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 19:14:12 PDT 2012

Manu wrote:
> That's no less ugly though, in fact, it's considerably more
> ugly. more
> brace spam + indentation levels for nothing.

I actually like the bracket+indentation as a section separator
indicator. Usually I'll "group" fields/methods by common
attribute:

     class Window
     {
         private {
             string _title;
             int _x, _y;
             // etc...
         }

         @property {
             auto title() { return _title; }
             auto x() { return _x; }
             auto y() { return _y; }
             // etc...

     // Or...

     struct Vector2(T)
     {
         T x, y;

         @property {
             auto xy() { return this; }
             auto yx() { return Vector2(y, x); }
         }

         @property static {
             auto zero() { return Vector2(0, 0); }
             auto one()  { return Vector2(1, 1); }
             // etc...

But I'm also use to C# code which is usually indented twice
before you even get to functions (namespace -> class -> method).