Proposal: user defined attributes

F i L witte2008 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 22:01:45 PDT 2012

Walter Bright wrote:
> My impression is it is just obfuscation around a simple lazy
> initialization pattern.
>
> While I can see the abstraction usefulness of compile time
> attribute metadata, I am having a hard time seeing what the
> gain is with runtime attributes over more traditional
> techniques.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by runtime attributes. Do you
mean the ability to reflect upon attributes at runtime? In that
case, there's two  benefits I can think of over "traditional"
member data: Instance memory (attributes are create at
reflection), and reusable metadata packages (similar to how you
might use mixin templates only with less noise and reflection
capabilities).