Proposal: user defined attributes

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Mar 18 19:54:54 PDT 2012

On Friday, 16 March 2012 at 13:35:55 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On the ride over here today, I had a thought that
> I think neatly solves the user defined attribute
> question.

Maybe there are other ways to think about user defined
attributes. I'd like them to essentially be ways to extend the
static type system in library code.

I am thinking about things like the ones done by Dehydra and
Treehydra (https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Dehydra
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Treehydra ) but using the D
language itself instead of JavaScript.

This asks for more __traits(...), to allow the D programmer (that
is defining a new attribute) to use them to static verify more
characteristics of the D code being annotated with the attributes.

Bye,
bearophile